Tuesday, August 7, 2012

2012 Honda Civic Si Long-Term Update 3


Six months and ten thousand miles have passed since the Honda Civic Si has arrived and I have really adopted it as my own. The seat is always adjusted correctly and my phones Bluetooth auto-connects when I turn on the stereo. So what kind of impression has the Civic left on me? Well, Honda Civic ownership is very uneventful. Everyone I have talked to agrees that the Civic is an overall good looking car, but you don't exactly catch little kids staring at it in awe on the freeway. There little that anyone would find offensive but there is also little to find interesting. Driving, especially high in the rev-range can be enjoyable, but power isn't its strong suit and I always expect it to pull a little harder than it does, especially considering the noise it makes. 


It also has an annoying habit of holding revs for the second or so after the clutch is depressed. Due to its irregularity, I can't decide if this is by design or if its a defect. Then there is the mysterious knock in the rear suspension that comes and goes and has yet to be heard or diagnosed by any of the friendly folks at my local Honda dealer. This sensation is not exclusive to the uber-rich either, either. One of the most fun cars I have ever driven is my mom's 2003 Dodge Neon SRT-4, which competed with a Civic Si in its day. When producing a sports version of a base economy car, it really needs to feel different and exciting, like the SRT-4. To use a more modern example, take the Subaru Impreza WRX STI. It has spoilers, scoops, a brawny looking wide-body kit, and a tightly-wound turbocharged 2.5-liter engine. Every part of the car feels meaner, sharper, and more hardcore than the base Impreza. Its that feeling that I wih the Civic had more of, that extra character and passion. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

You will be redirected to the script in

seconds