Wednesday, August 1, 2012

2012 Volkswagen Passat SEL Long


One of the toughest parts of my job, and yes, there are several, is trying to express to readers the value of a car is not necessarily found in the boxes of a spec chart. While the numbers are important, it's often the qualitative mortar in between the quantitative bricks that tell the story. When talking to friends about our long-term Volkswagen Passat, one of the first things that gets brought up is the 0-60 mph time, which happens to be 9.0 seconds. The Passat is certainly not quick off the line, but once rolling, holds its own. I have been told by a few people that they would never consider the Passat's 2.5 liter because of this stat. Apparently, they're doing more street racing with their family sedans than I am as I have yet to drag race a Camry for money. 

Having put nearly 7000 miles on our Passat, there have been only a few times I really wished for more power. Uphill passing and on our figure-8 course are the only two that immediately come to mind. Generally, however, I am fine with the 170 hp and 177 lb-ft the 2.5-liter I-5 churns out. I merge on the freeway, I turn left across traffic, I survive in L.A. -- one of the fastest, most aggressive driving cities in the country. None of the horrors of a car without 300 hp have befallen me. 

All this refinement, however, might be just in time for its final act. Rumor has it, this engine's days are numbered and a 1.8-liter direct-injected turbocharged I-4 will be taking its place in a couple of years. It will no doubt offer a flatter torque curve, possibly higher power and torque numbers, and better fuel economy. If it's similar to the 2.0T in power delivery, this will totally change entry-level VWs. Until then, VW offers the TDI and the VR6 for the aspiring Vin Diesels with kids. 


0 comments:

Post a Comment

You will be redirected to the script in

seconds